When Edward Bach created his flower essences in the 1930's, the original set was known as The Twelve Healers. The remedies corresponded to common personality types, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Bach's theory was that we could use flower remedies to soften each personality type's limitations, and tap into its strengths. If I'm not mistaken, Bach also hypothesized that our personality types may overlap with our Moon Signs, but he didn't connect the dots. Others have gone on to connect individual remedies with their corresponding essence. The big surprise that day, was that I had intuitively chosen the correct essence for my Moon in Capricorn. You wouldn't guess it, but I can be very fearful, prone to worst-case-scenario thinking. The Bach Centre tells us that Mimulus is for people with a:
"Fear of worldly things, illness, pain, accidents, poverty, of dark, of being alone, of misfortune. The fears of everyday life. These people quietly and secretly bear their dread, they do not freely speak of it to others"
- Sun Sign: How we channel our energy into the world.
- Moon Sign: Inner feelings, emotions and personal life.
- Ascendant: How we relate to the world and those around us.
- Mercury: How we communicate our thoughts to others.
- Venus: Our relationship with love, money and creativity.
- Mars: How we channel desires into the realm of action.
- South Node Moon: Lessons brought forward from a past life.
Your astrological chart will tell you what House and Sign the planets were in at the time of your birth (see here for a free birth chart). The zodiac sign refers to the attitude or energy that you bring to a particular situation, and the house is that situation (career, family life, spirituality, etc). The essences that I chose intuitively corresponded to the zodiac signs for my sun, moon and three other planets that are all placed in the same sign (Virgo). I think it was the preponderance of Virgo energy that made me gravitate to that particular essence, so keep an eye out for lots of planets in a particular sign or House.
That's not all! The Houses also have intrinsic zodiac signs; and we can be influenced by their energy, rather than the transiting sign's. For example, my South Node is in the 4th House, and even though Leo was transiting through the 4th house at the time of my birth, I was drawn to the remedy for Cancer. My karma is theoretically in the 4th & 10th houses, and that's where I'd do well to focus my energy *
Here is a quick summary of the Houses and their native signs:
- 1st House: Our personal identity, who we are in the world. ARIES.
- 2nd House: The material world, riches, resources. TAURUS.
- 3rd House: Our community environment, siblings. GEMINI.
- 4th House: Family life, the home, childhood. CANCER
- 5th House: How we express our creativity: art, music & love affairs. LEO
- 6th House: Vocations, teamwork, help, service to others (or not). VIRGO
- 7th House: Marriage, romantic relationships, partnership. LIBRA
- 8th House: Shared resources, monetary gain, legacies. SCORPIO
- 9th House: What is the meaning of life? Philosophy. SAGITTARIUS
- 10th House: Social and career status, ambition, ripple effect. Capricorn
- 11th House: Do we identify with all of humanity? Oneness. AQUARIUS
- 12th House: The realm of past lives, karma & family secrets. PISCES.
|The Gilded Tarot|
That's all for today! I hope this crash course in astrology was useful, and not too confusing. There is so much to learn, I am very much an amateur myself. Please have your birth charts ready for my next post. We'll explore Bach's original remedies and the Zodiac signs they've been linked to. If you don't know your star signs, follow this link for a free birth chart & intrepretation at Cafe Astrology (see here).
And subscribe for a special gift! =)
Reiki hugs, Regina
Image Source: The Gilded Tarot by Ciro Marchetti