I've been hosting my radio show and blogging from New York City this week. My cousin was hospitalised earlier this month with a persistent stomach ache, and we learned soon after that it was early stages of Burkitt's Lymphoma. A condition that is thankfully very treatable, though the chemotherapy sessions start at full throttle to keep it in check. The treatment involves 4-6 rounds of chemotherapy, each lasting 21 days and for the most part in-patient care, with welcome breaks at home along the way. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that my cousin's "let's get this started" attitude has him one step ahead of the curve. The very morning after his diagnosis, he was in touch asking for Self-Healing tools to calm down and focus. Meditation proved to be incredibly effective at calming his nerves and connecting with that well of Inner Peace that we all carry. I'm convinced that starting out with meditation grounded his energy and made dealing with the shock of the diagnosis a little bit easier. It reminded me of a post by leading Integrative Oncologist, Brian Lawenda MD, called I wish all my patients would meditate.
Obviously I hopped on a plane from Mexico as soon as I could, and this week I gave him Energy Healing and Reiki ahead of this second chemo infusion. He has responded well to the healings and with his permission I'd like to share them here. The techniques are based on my Energy Healing studies at the School of Intuition and Healing, as well as my Reiki Master training with Michael Kauffman in London. My approach to energy healing is always complementary to medical care, not a substitute.
Energy Healing with Gold Light:
- This was a chair healing the morning he checked into the hospital. It lasted 30 minutes. My idea was to give him a good clearing and healing. In Healing School we were taught to channel only universal energy when someone is being treated for cancer or lymphoma, as opposed to Earth energy. The highest vibrational energy I have been able to work with so far is gold energy, a.k.a. Christ Energy. I put my hands on his shoulders and intended for gold energy to flow through his body into the ground, taking any excess stress, tension or chemo "hangovers" into the ground.
- Next I went to his Crown Chakra and visualised silver light coming down from Heaven and filling his Crown with wisdom, understanding and healing. The intention was for that energy to flow down to his Heart Chakra. From there I went to the Heart Chakra and filled it with gold light, letting it overflow to the rest of his body. This is where I stayed the longest and once all of his cells were filled with gold light, I turned to the Physical Heart and Circulatory System. This is where we healers can help the most.
- Chemotherapy drugs reach every last cell in the human body, reaching healthy cells as well as abnormal ones. If I'm not mistaken, this is why the side effects can be so strong. I sent gold and silver light into the blood stream through the heart, so that all of the body's cells receive that healing as well as the intended effects of the chemotherapy.
- My intention at the end was for the healing to last a whole week, especially the gold energy and the infusion of light. As with any healing, I ended the session by grounding and protecting his energy. The healing took place 12 hours before chemo was due to start. He was in good spirits and great shape; that's probably why I included so much in the session. On good days we channel more healing that on bad days. For example, I would never give a full-on energy healing to someone who had a bad cold, etc.
Pre-Chemo Reiki Booster:
This session took place later in the evening before his chemo treatment started. Ideally I would have sent healing during, but it didn't start until 2 am. The healing took place at 10 pm and lasted 15 minutes. You will need a Reiki Level II Attunement to try it, replacing the master symbols with CKR.
- In hospitals there is usually less room to maneuver, so I usually hold the patient's hand and use my intention to draw symbols or send energy where needed. Also, as my healing school teachers told us, don't do anything that looks weird in a hospital setting! Here I was able to stand at the bottom of the bed and send healing through the feet, intending for any stress, tension or chemo "hangover" to flow into the ground through my feet.
- I then sent Reiki to Heart and Solar Plexus with the Usui Master Symbol.
- Power Symbol on mechanical port in chest, intending for it to send Reiki to the body with the chemo infusion. If removing nausea is in line with highest good, please clear, heal and direct energy directly towards the lymphoma cells.
- Power Symbol drawn over the body through each of the Chakras, starting at the Crown and moving down a straight line to the Base, before looping back through the Brow, Sacral, Solar Plexus, Throat and Heart. I stopped at the Heart and added the distance symbol, intending for this big power symbol to stay active for 72 hours so that Reiki would keep flowing as he detoxed from the chemotherapy.
- I went back to apply Distance and Power Symbols at the mechanical port, so that the Reiki filter would stay there for 12 hours. Then back to grounding via feet.
- End session as you normally would, brushing the aura and grounding.
The feedback from both sessions was great! He felt the energy moving through his body, especially during the first one. He also felt it going to his head. The next day my cousin was thrilled because the headaches he had been experiencing disappeared. I also extended my flight and I'll be here next week. He is back home from the hospital today and we will have a Reiki class (attunement) too. In all of this, the biggest plus has been my cousin's fantastic attitude and the way he's embraced knowing what the "problem" is so that he can focus on getting better. On one of his weekends off, he went for a 7k jog and his doctor also signed off on him signing up for the NY Marathon in November. I'm trying to talk him into blogging about training for the marathon. By now I'm sure you're wondering, he's 29 and very awesome!